Saturday, August 21, 2010

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies


FINALLY!  The week is OVER.  I've enjoyed my classes, but I am happy it's over.  What about you guys?  Are you happy it's Friday?

I've had a lot of homework this week and I'd like to think I've been working pretty hard.  I feel pretty accomplished now that the week is over. Has this week felt incredibly jam-packed to anybody else?!

I thought I'd rack up my accomplishments for the week by making cookies.  Cookies and I do NOT get along.  I try so hard to make them come out even halfway decent.  I'm not asking for perfection here, I would just like to make a cookie that doesn't get rejected.  I would like to tell you all that I made my first good cookie.  Not only was it good, it was really, really good.  
A few days ago, I was reading Deb at Smitten Kitchen's blog and I came across these Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate cookies.  Normally, oatmeal cookies are not my favorite.  Or white chocolate.  Or salted sweets.  But as I was reading her post, she wrote that they might have outranked her homemade oreos and that is the moment I knew I had to try them.  I couldn't imagine how any cookie could outrank those... so I had to test it myself.

I'm glad I did because hese cookies are delicious!!  I still love the homemade oreos, but I can completely see how somebody might want to challenge these two cookies.  Even my boyfriend who doesn't like sweets ate one... and another, and another.  Please make them...if I can do it, so can you!  Let me know how you like them.  :)

Crispy Salted Oatmeal White Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen


1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
12 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
6 ounces good-quality white chocolate bar, chopped (not “white chocolate” chips; they’re almost always artificial. I am adamant about this.) I used coconut white chocolate and I think the coconut added a really good flavor to the cookie.
1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel) (for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.

Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth.


Gradually add oats and white chocolate and mix until well incorporated.

 
Divide dough into 24 equal portions, each about 2 tablespoons. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.


Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie.

Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack to cool.

See the sea salt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)