Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Fruit Pizza

 Oh summer, how I'll miss you.



Is it really already over!? Man!!  I really can't believe that.  I feel like the older I get, the faster time goes by. *Sigh* Anyway...

This afternoon I attempted to play tennis with my neighbor.  We thought it would be a good idea because it was cloudy outside and it rained last night, so it couldn't possibly be TOO hot, could it?  Yes it could.  95 degrees on a cloudy/rainy day?  Come on mother nature, give us a break!  Well, our little tennis adventure ended pretty quickly.

After that, I attempted to read a book.  I'm reading "The Life Before Her Eyes" by Laura Kasischke.  It's actually pretty good, but for some reason I just could not focus.  I'd start to read a sentence and then I'd think something like..."I should have a garage sale" or "hmm...maybe I could paint my toenails today"... obviously my mind was not in the right condition to be reading.  So that ended, as well.

So then, earlier this evening, my dad and I attempted to go on a bike ride.  My dad and I normally go on evening bike rides, so it sounded like a good plan...until it started raining.  So that ended earlier than it normally would have.

All the while, I'd been contemplating what I could bake tonight.  When I finally sat down, I attempted to decide.  For some reason, I could NOT pick anything.  I just chalked it up to a day full of attempts.

BUT!! Don't leave! I still have a recipe for you all! Since this is my last day of summer, (classes start tomorrow...YUCK!) I thought it would be appropriate to post an "end to summer Summer Dessert" I got the recipe for this fruit pizza from my neighbors (also my boyfriends grandparents) family cookbook.  It's not like the refrigerated cookie dough version, I'm talkin' real crust here.  Mmm.  It was so good that I made it twice.  I don't like to make desserts more than once.  Unless they're REALLY, REALLY good.  Like this one.  I took it to a 4th of July party and got asked for the recipe and it was gone before I could give it to them. :)  So, here's to summer!



Fruit Pizza
Terry Uyeki

Filling:
14 oz. can condensed milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla

Crust:
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup chopped nuts

For the filling:
Mix together all of the filling ingredients and chill while you make the dough.

For the crust:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cream together 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar in your mixer (or by hand).  Once that's fluffy, add 1 c. flour, 1/4 cup oats, and 1/4 cup chopped nuts and mix until your dough comes together.  It will be flaky!  If you don't like crumbly crust, add a little bit more butter or oil, but not too much because you don't want your dough to be greasy. 
Take the crust dough and put in a 9x13 greased pan (or on a greased cookie sheet).  Work it until it is even.  Prick the dough with a fork all over and bake 10 to 12 minutes at 375 degrees.
Allow the crust to cool, then spread filling on the cooled pizza crust.
Chop your fruit of choice and top it however you like!

Now, eat! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)