Saturday, September 11, 2010

Apple-Berry Crumble Pie


I decided that Intervention isn't going to show up at my house.  I think my mind knew that I wasn't going to be baking for a few days and it was using its survival instincts.. the one's that were saying "bake a bunch today because you're going to be too busy this week!"
Sorry for keeping recipes from you guys.  I'm sure you're all feeling really deprived.  Ha!  Well, humor me and say you were!
Remember how I told you I made my auntie a pie?  Well, I think you guys should all make your aunties this pie, too.  It was definitely a hit with my auntie; she loved it.  It made my day!  And then, she had my aunt and uncle over to have some of it, and they loved it, too.  That made my day, too.  Two made days just because of this pie.. see, you should make it.
I still had some apples left from that caramel apple pie I made forever ago, so I decided it was time to use those babies up, but I only had a few, so I added some blackberries and blueberries.  Delicious!

Apple-Berry Crumble Pie
Adapted from:  Buns in My Oven and Martha Stewart

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 assorted apples (I used Granny Smith and Pink Ladies), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed 
  • 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust (I (basically) use this recipe:  Pie Crust IV
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 8 tbsp butter, cubed
Directions

Peel and core your apples.


Whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add apples and blackberries, and toss to coat. Pour filling into prepared piecrust, and dot with butter.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until well combined and you have small pea sized lumps. Sprinkle this over the pie. There will be a lot of topping, but use it all.
(I had some extra dough left over, so I went ahead and cut out some hearts and placed them on the pie)

Place pie on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crust is golden, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees (At this point, I placed foil around the edges of my pie so it wouldn't burn). Bake pie, rotating sheet halfway through, until juices are bubbling in the center and crust is golden brown, about 1 1/2 hrs more. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)