Monday, November 8, 2010

Walnut Bars


I don't know about you, but I'm ready for Thanksgiving.

I'm preparing myself with these bars.  They're kind of like pecan pie... only with walnuts because I don't have any pecans.  And with cake flour because I ran out of regular flour.  And part light part dark corn syrup... because... you guessed it, I ran out.  I'm kind of questioning myself on how these turned out okay, now...

The bars I made turned out MORE than just okay, they were wonderful and gone in 2 days.  (Just a reminder, only 3 people live in my house).  So I'll give you the Martha Stewart recipe I adapted mine from... and if you want a cakey-er dough and walnuts instead of pecans, just swap out the AP flour for cake flour and pecans for walnuts.  Or make them her way and tell me how delicious those taste! Either way, you should make these!

If you make these following Martha's instructions, the crust will not look like this.
Make the filling!
Mix it all together.
Crush up your walnuts. Or pecans.
Drop some on the floor.  But don't worry because your cat will eat them???  He's so weird.
Incorporate the rest of the ingredients.
Your topping probably won't look like this either.  I added an extra tablespoon of flour.


Walnut (Pecan) Bars
Martha Stewart

Makes 24
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
  • 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt until light. Beat in 2 cups flour until it forms a mass. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch pan. Place a sheet of plastic wrap on the dough and use it to press the dough into the pan (this will make it easier and will prevent the dough from sticking to your fingers). Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are golden.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons flour, remaining teaspoon salt, and baking powder. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, brown sugar, and corn syrup until light. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture, then pecans and coconut.
  3. Pour over crust and bake 20 to 25 minutes until set. Run a metal spatula around the edges while still warm, then transfer to a wire rack and cool in pan before cutting into 24 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)