Saturday, January 1, 2011

Cranberry Walnut Bread


I hope that everyone had a fun and safe New Year's Eve!

Does anyone have any resolutions?  I kind of feel like they're pointless and hard to follow through with, so I don't normally make any.  My friend had a really good one last year.  It was to take a random picture every day and then at the end of each month, frame your favorite one, and then by the end of the year, you'll have a 12-picture collage of your favorite shots that year.  Unfortunately, she only made it through January last year.  Haha!  Mine should be to stay off of Facebook.  I hate you Mark Zuckerberg, for taking over my life.

Anyway, back to this bread.

I found some cranberries in my fridge that I had intended on using for some festive Thanksgiving baking the other day and decided that that probably wasn't going to happen, considering Thanksgiving was over quite a while ago.  So I made this bread, and some dip, too... but I'll share that next.  I don't really like cranberries much and I've never used them to bake before, but this bread was a good decision.

Everyone else thought so, too...which is why I didn't have time to take a better picture of it.  I hope it doesn't look TOO unappealing, because it's not at all!

 Mix the dry ingredients.
 Mix in the oil and eggs.
 Aren't they pretty?
 Chop up the cranberries and nuts.
 Pour it in a loaf pan.
Bake until it looks like this.

Cranberry Walnut Bread
Ocean Spray

INGREDIENTS:


2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, oil and egg. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in loaf pan.

Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Wrap and store overnight. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices).

PER SERVING (1 slice): Cal. 211, Fat Cal. 54, Protein 3grams, Carb. 37grams, Fat 6grams, Chol. 18mg., Sodium 313mg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)