Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chocolate Dipped Personalized Fortune Cookies


I figured it was about time I told you all about Valentine's Day.

Let me just tell you what happened...

I had come up with the really awesome idea to make an ABC book for Kellen.  For every letter of the alphabet, my plan was to write a different adjective to describe him.  (I'm sappy, I know, okay?)  So, I did it and I made it into a cute little book and cut out other words from magazines to go along with the words.  I was really proud of it once I was finished.

I get to Kellen's house (and there are beautiful pink roses and a balloon) and I'm so ready for him to open the book, but he wanted to wait until after dinner to open presents.  I was ready to open them right away, mostly because I have no patience, but also because, like I said, I was proud and I wanted to see his reaction. 
After patiently sitting through dinner at my uncle's restaurant, aka the best restaurant ever, we got back to his house and it was finally time for him to read his book.

You can imagine how pissed I was when he started laughing.  Seriously?  Do you not realize how hard I worked??  I was not happy, to say the least.  I asked him what was so funny and he told me to open my card...

....we are completely meant to be.  He made me an ABC list of adjectives he thinks describe me.  What are the odds of that happening?  I could not get over how crazy that was.  I am such a lucky girl! Along with that, he got me an iTunes card for games on my new iPhone because he knows I'm too cheap to buy them myself.  What a sweetie. :)  Also noting his sweetness, for E he put eater... because "I'm a good eater and like to eat."

Along with Kellen's book, I also drew him a picture, printed out some silly kids Valentine's, wrote him a letter, and made him these yummy fortune cookies.  I didn't do a very good job with the appearance them, so if somebody has some tips for making these, I would greatly appreciate it.  I made them prettier by dipping them in chocolate, and they still tasted good... but, well, Kellen thought they were crab rangoon... so... It's the thought that counts, right?  And I put individual fortunes in each one.  I'll take an A for effort, thanks.  




Anyway, here's the recipe, somebody help me with the technique!

P.S. I was dying to add sprinkles to these, but Kellen doesn't like sprinkles.  Freak, right? ;)
 

Chocolate Dipped Personalized Fortune Cookies
Leites Culinaria

Ingredients

  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for baking sheets
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Dash ground cloves
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet, dark, or semisweet chocolate
  • Chopped peanuts, sprinkles, minced candied ginger, or other little sweet or spicy things

Directions

1. To make the fortune cookies, preheat oven to 375° F (190°C). Line 2 baking sheets with a silicone nonstick baking mat or parchment paper. If using parchment, lightly coat the paper with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Have a couple of muffin tins at the ready.
2. Write fortunes on long strips of sturdy paper. (The paper can be fancy or plain, it matters little. Best stick with strips that are 3 1/2 to 4 inches long and no more than 1/2 inch or so wide.)
3. Stir together the butter, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
4. Beat the egg whites and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute. Reduce the speed to low, add about half of the flour, and beat just until combined. Switch to a spatula and gently fold in the butter mixture. Add the remaining flour and fold just until combined.
5. Drop 1 tablespoon of the batter onto the baking sheet and use the back of a spoon to spread the batter evenly and very thinly into a 3 1/2-inch circle. Repeat to make 3 or 4 cookies on each baking sheet.
6. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the fortune cookies just barely begin to brown around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 30 seconds and then, working quickly, transfer the cookies from the baking sheet and place them on a clean dish towel. Place a fortune just above the center of each cookie and fold the cookie in half, pinching the top of the curved portion to seal. Gently bend the ends of the fortune cookie together to form a fortune cookie shape. (Fold the cookie over a chopstick, if you have one, to help create the bend in the center.) Place the cookie in the muffin tin, bended side down, to help it retain its shape while it cools. Repeat with the remaining cookies. Hurry!)
7. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl or measuring cup. Dip half of each fortune cookie in the melted chocolate. If desired, sprinkle with chopped peanuts or candied sprinkles or anything else that you believe will help to ensure a sweet fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)