Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dinner, Dessert, and a Snowstorm List

3 blog posts in 3 days... I'm on a roll!

Tomorrow will be my 3rd snow day in a row...I'm going InSaNe!!

All I want to do is bake, but I can't even take the finished products anywhere since I'm snowed in, so that is a very, very bad idea.  But I never said my ideas were good, so I'm currently stuck in a house with chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter chocolate chip bars, baked oatmeal, granola, and potato nachos.  Ugggh, someone come eat with me!!

I'm feeling super accomplished today.  I made an actual breakfast (baked oatmeal), did a workout video (from Netflix!! so cool- thanks to the discovery made by my friend Hillary.), cleaned my room, cleaned the bathroom, did the dishes, made dinner, made dessert, and now a blog post.  Woooo, feelin' pretty good.

Being stuck inside has forced me to come up with:


26 Things to Do Inside During a Snowstorm

1.  Watch Netflix.  Catch up on every single episode you've missed.  If you don't have Netflix,
2.  Purchase Netflix.
3.  Make some crafts with Martha.
4. Jordan's doodle.
4.  Doodle.  (Photo courtesy of my best friend. Haha! Love her.)
5.  Play video games.
6.  Play board games.
7.  Read.  I found out I'm able to get free books from Kansas Library with my college library account.  Sweet!
8.  Facebook.  (Not happy about this one, I'm officially checking myself into Facebook Rehab.)
9.  Take pictures.
10.  Edit pictures.  I just found a cool new photo editing software.
11.  Start a blog! :)
12.  Make some coffee and just relaxxxx.  Oprah says that having "silent time" every day is an important part of being happy.  Oprah is never wrong.
13.  Play games online.  (My fav.)
14.  Clean (Not a fan of this one either. Just throwin' out some ideas!)
15.  Organize your junk drawers and cabinets.
16.  Online shop.  (Bad idea, but still an idea)
17.  Dye your hair.
18.  Paint your nails.
19.  Find new music.
20.  Nap.
21.  Create your own dinner.
22.  Talk to your boyfriend on the phone since you can't drive to him.  :(
23.  Start a fire.  In the fireplace, of course.
24.  Put off doing homework.  I'm really good at that.
25.  Eat.  I'm really good at that, too.
26.  Make Loaded Potato Nachos and Chocolate Chip Bars with Peanut Butter Frosting. 



Loaded Potato Nachos
adapted from:  HowSweetEats  (Can you tell I like her?)
Ingredients: (Serves 3)

3 large potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon season salt, or to taste
*Toppings are versatile, but I used:
1/2 cup refried beans
1/4 cup black olives
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Salsa

You could also use chicken, banana peppers, sour cream, cottage cheese, feta cheese, guacamole, beef, etc.  Get creative

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Wash potatoes, peel off any bad parts, and slice into wedges (however thick of thin you would like). Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Lay on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, flipping once.
Remove potatoes and top with whatever toppings you would like.
Stick back in the oven to melt cheese and refried beans.



Chocolate Chip Bars with Peanut Butter Frosting
bars from:  Food.com
frosting from: AllRecipes

These would be good plain, but of course, I had to add frosting.

Ingredients


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips



1. Preheat oven to 375* Grease a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan. 
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. 
3. Beat butter, both sugars and vanilla in large mixer bowl. 
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. 
5. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture. 
6. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. 
7. Spread into prepared pan. 
8. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Let cool, frost with recipe below. 
Peanut Butter Frosting

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 3 tablespoons milk, or as needed
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  1. Place the butter and peanut butter into a medium bowl, and beat with an electric mixer. Gradually mix in the sugar, and when it starts to get thick, incorporate milk one tablespoon at a time until all of the sugar is mixed in and the frosting is thick and spreadable. Beat for at least 3 minutes.

    4 comments:

    1. Yayy! My artistic drawing skills made your blog! Haha and I miss you and I love you!! Muah! P.S. IM MAKING A VISIT VERY VERY SOON!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. i miss you and love you too, my artistic friend! lol
      i cant wait to see you!!!! hurry!

      ReplyDelete
    3. aw, i love doodling! and online (window) shopping at anthro. the pb chocolate chip bars look amazing! i can't think of a better combination :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. thank you, i can't think of one either!
      haha online window shopping.. maybe i should learn from your technique :)
      love your blog!

      ReplyDelete

    Key to my heart? Comments. :)