Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars


Hi all!

Let me tell you about this crazy rest of the summer I have.

Friday morning, my sister, nieces and I leave around 6 for a 10-11 hour drive to Chicago for a family get-together sort of thing.

Sunday morning, I drive back home with my parents so I can be dropped off with Kellen because...

Monday morning, Kellen and I leave for Portland with his family because his brother is getting married!

The following Monday night, we fly out of Portland to come home.

Friday and Saturday (Aug. 5th and 6th), Kellen and I are going to KanRocksas (my birthday present to him).

Thursday (Aug. 11th) I leave for school.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm stressing out a little bit.  I tend to do that...

Anyway, I decided I should probably bake something for the looonnng drive to Chicago, so I made peanut butter and jelly bars.  Since I'm not eating sweets this week, (Thank God for this.) the taste tester (dad) grade: A. I'm starting to think he might be biased.  Also, he doesn't give details.  All I got out of him was a muffled "mm good" while he still had food in his mouth.  I'll take it.










Peanuut Butter and Jelly Bars
barely adapted from: First Look, Then Cook

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup grape jelly or other jelly or jam
Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 2. Line an 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan with heavy-duty foil, leaving 2-inch overhang around edges and pressing firmly into corners and up sides of pan. Coat foil with nonstick spray.
3. Whisk flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl.
4. Using electric mixer, beat peanut butter, sugar, and butter in large bowl until smooth. Add egg and vanilla; beat on low-speed until smooth.
5. Add flour mixture; beat on low-speed just to blend.
6. Transfer half of dough to prepared pan (about scant 1 1/2 cups). Place remaining dough in freezer for 10 minutes.
7. Using fingertips, press dough evenly onto bottom of pan. Spread jelly over in even layer.
8. Remove dough from freezer; using fingertips, break into grape-size pieces and scatter over jelly layer.
9. Bake bars until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool bars completely in pan on rack.
10. Using foil overhang as aid, lift bars from pan. Gently peel foil from edges. Cut into 16 squares.


I only have 1 guest poster for the whole time I'll be gone (thanks, Gen!!), so if anyone else would like to volunteer I would really, REALLY appreciate it! Please... pretty please!  It can even be something you've already written/posted. 

What are/have you all done this summer? When I was younger, the only traveling my family ever did was to Branson, MO, so I'm taking full advantage of all of these opportunities!


10 comments:

  1. My five year old would adore these. I just saved the recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I would love to do a guest blog if you think my cooking is up to scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a hectic time ahead but will be wonderful im sure :) This recipe is pretty darn fabulous too, lovely post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Peanut butter and jelly was my favorite sandwich for most of my childhood. Okay, all of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious! I trust your dad ^

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks nicole! :) it was definitely my favorite, too... it might still be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey! i would appreciate that! email me at whatkatiesbaking@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have a hectic time ahead but will be wonderful im sure :) This recipe is pretty darn fabulous too, lovely post as always!

    ReplyDelete

Key to my heart? Comments. :)