Saturday, October 1, 2011

The BEST Coffee Cake and My First Vlog


I've got a couple of other recipes I've been wanting to post for you, but I'm not going to do that today.

I'm going to completely put myself out there with my very first ridiculous and corny vlog and hope that you stay tuned in in the future as I (hopefully) get better.



Let me tell you about my first video.

I'm taking a Digital Media class and two of our assignments were to make a podcast and a video.  I didn't do so hot on the video, but I thought I did pretty well on the podcast, so I decided I wanted to make podcasts for What Katie's Baking.

When I headed to Wal-Mart to get an audio recorder, I noticed that there was a Flip camcorder for only 30 dollars more than an audio recorder. I couldn't pass up that deal so I decided to get it.  Well, it turned out that they were out.

By this point, I was set on getting a camcorder, and I remembered that Wal-Mart does price matching.  I checked out the other camcorders and found one that was 160 dollars.  I found it for 77 dollars online. Wal-Mart doesn't do online price matching, but by this point, I'd already been at Wal-Mart forever and it was their last one, so the manager let me and dad have it for 77 dollars.

Awesome, huh?  So now I have a brand new Kodak Play Touch and my very first vlog.

Let's talk about the coffee cake before I show you.  I'm not stalling or anything.  This is the moistest... most moist?... cake I think I've ever made.  I changed up the topping and switched out nuts with oats.  The topping is very crunchy on top, but once you cut into it, you get the gooeyness underneath.  Good stuff.

Okay, guys, I guess you can click here to check it out.  Don't make fun of me! Or the cheesy music choice. Or my beginner video editing skills.  I'm workin' on it.


The Best Coffee Cake
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients


Cake:
  • 1-1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 1-3/4 cups sugar
  • 3 cups flour, sifted
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/4 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
  • 3 whole egg whites, beaten until stiff

Topping:
  • 1-1/2 stick butter, softened
  • 3/4 cups flour
  • 1-1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1 cup oats

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat egg whites and set aside.
  2. Cream butter and sugar. Add flour mixture and milk alternately until combined. Don't overbeat. Fold in beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula. Spread in a well-greased 9 x 13 baking pan. A cake pan with higher sides would be best.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients with a pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle all over the top.
  4. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until no longer jiggly. Serve warm.


9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I loved the video! You are so cute and I totally agree that it's awkward when people taste the food and then "ooh" and "ahh". So cheesy. I liked your artsier take on it. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,Never new you call that vlog:)Looks great to me.Keep vloging:))Greta cogfee cake;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very spongy hum!! Oh and I love your video, that's very nice to watch and a funny alternative to a basic written recipe. Keep on doing some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! Love that you put oats in your topping. Looks delicious! I'm at work, so I'll watch your video later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the video! Recipe looks delicious too :-) very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks soft and delicious... and the recipe is simple t follow. Nice work. Loved the video, made me smile :) 

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks sooo good - I love a nice moist coffee cake.  Good job on your vlog- you are very brave!  Very cute site and lots of yummy goodness.  I will definitely come back:-)

    ReplyDelete

Key to my heart? Comments. :)