I've had coconut flour sitting up in the cabinet for about 6 months now. I bought it because it's good for you, it's gluten-free, high in fiber and protein, and I wanted to bake with it.
I hadn't done a thing with it, so I looked up "Recipes using coconut flour" and got some pretty good results, but in the end I went with these delicious muffins. I normally associate lemon with summer time, but since the weather has been ridiculously nice lately, I figured these were appropriate.
The consistency of the muffins was really thick and dense. I didn't know what to expect since I had never baked with coconut flour before, but I was pleasantly surprised. The coconut flavor is pretty predominant in these, but I think that's a good thing.
Have you baked with coconut flour before? What did you think of it?
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Made With Coconut Flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup honey
¼ cup oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, salt and baking soda
- In a large bowl, blend together eggs, honey, oil and lemon zest
- Blend dry ingredients into wet.
- Fold in poppy seeds.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each greased mini muffin cup.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool and serve.