Thursday, October 7, 2010

Double Chocolate Cookies


When I grow up, I want to live in a cozy little cottage.  You know, like the ones in fairytales.

With a HUGE kitchen to bake in and a HUGE window overlooking a fenced in backyard with an overflowing garden.

And a ginormous front porch AND back porch.  With a hammock, a porch swing, and rocking chairs.  I won't be picky about which porch has what.

I want a stone pathway to the house.

And a big fireplace to read in front of.

I'm pretty sure those are the only requirements.

I used to have this recurring dream that I lived in a house similar to this, but it was always snowing and night time in a little secluded town with cobblestone streets.  Isn't that strange?  I guess ever since then, it's just stuck with me.

Anyway, I want to sit in my huge kitchen with my huge back window every morning drinking hot chocolate
 coffee reading the comics very educational news stuff from the newspaper eating these delicious cookies oatmeal and grapefruit.  Because I'll be a very responsible adult.

I can't wait.

In the meantime, I'll sit in my parent's kitchen eating these cookies.  I'll sit anywhere eating these cookies, actually.  You name it, I'm there.  As long as these cookies are, too.

 Mix and melt.
Whisk the dry's.
Put 'em together.
Fold in more chocolate.
Form dough balls.
Get out the milk.  It's necessary.
Dip it!
Gooey deliciousness.

Double Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from:  Martha

Ingredients

Makes about 3 dozen
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (1/2 for melting, 1/2 for folding in)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with the butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave; let cool slightly.
Put chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks.
Using a heaping teaspoon, drop dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are flat and surfaces crack, about 12-15 minutes (cookies will look underbaked...they harden quite a bit, so leave them!). Let cool on parchment on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)