Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Bread


Have you ever been to www.toothpastefordinner.com?

I was just clearing up clutter on my computer and I ran across a folder from 2005 titled Toothpaste.  Wondering why I would name a folder "toothpaste", I clicked on it.  It was full of images from Toothpaste for Dinner. I used to get on the website all the time... and apparently save all of the ones I thought were the funniest.  I personally think they're hilarious.  I checked out the site today and cracked up.  Out loud.  By myself.  I'm a loser...which is also why I'm probably about to order a t-shirt from the site.

Here are just a few that I thought were pretty funny:
(Taken from the website)








Anyway, like I said, I went through all of them and, well they were really funny, but more importantly I figured out why I think it's so funny to put words together and where/when that habit started.  I have changed the name of this bread accordingly.



Whisk eggs, milk, and vanilla.
 Mix dry ingredients. (Including poppy seeds, which I forgot.  I added them later.)
Add lemon juice, butter, and HALF of the egg mixture.
I finally remembered my poppy seeds after adding the final amount of the egg mixture.
 Look how creamy that is! The batter is soooooo delicious.
Make the syrup while it's baking.
After it's cooled, glaze it.
 So moist!
Enjoy with a cup of tea.
Loppy Seed Bread
Adapted from:  CliqueClack
*The ingredients are mixed together very oddly, so don't freak out when you start making it.  Or if you do freak out, know you're doing it correctly.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2/4 cup yogurt
For the syrup:
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • dash of grated lemon peel
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a loaf pan.
Whisk together eggs, vanilla and milk. Set aside.
Mix dry ingredients together in mixing bowl, then add lemon juice, butter and half of the egg mixture. Mix for one minute. Add half of the remaining egg mixture and mix for 30 seconds, then add remaining egg mixture and mix for 30 more seconds.
Bake for 55 minutes or until browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Meanwhile, melt syrup ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Make holes in the top of bread with a toothpick and brush half of the syrup over the top of the loaf. Take out of the pan and do the same to the bottom. Let cool completely. Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)