Monday, November 1, 2010

Oatmeal Parfait


Since I'm sure you're all completely tired of me jacking your glucose levels and increasing the risk of heart disease and since it's the day after Halloween and if you're like me, you're recovering from a sugar coma, I've decided to provide you with something that might only slightly do all of the above.

This is what I eat for breakfast most days.  I have to make it look like a dessert so I can trick my brain into thinking that's what it is.

I love oatmeal.

It's good for you, it tastes good, and it possesses so many good benefits for your body.

For example, it's high in fiber and is proven to provide cancer-fighting agents, the more you eat, the less chance of getting heart disease you have, and it's high in lots of nutrients and vitamins.

It's really just the perfect way to start your day off right.

Try it, your heart will thank you!

-end oatmeal commercial-

Oatmeal Parfait My Way
This is so adaptable it's ridiculous.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup oats
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup yogurt of your choice 
1/2 cup blueberries
1 Tablespoon pumpkin butter
1 tablespoon jam
1 teaspoon sugar
optional: reddi-whip

Cook oats with water until they've reached your desired consistency.  I like mine thick so I cook them a little longer.

Layer the parfait.

1st layer: 1/3 oatmeal mixture
2nd: pumpkin butter, 1/2 yogurt
3rd: 1/3 oatmeal mixture
4th: blueberries and jam
5th: 1/3 oatmeal mixture
6th: the rest of the yogurt
top with optional reddi-whip and cinnamon.

Chill in fridge until cool.
Eat! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)