Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Coconut Macaroons

 
Sometimes I get random cravings.

This time, coconut was my victim.

Poor coconut.  It already has identity issues.  Is it a nut or a fruit?  And what is it's real use?  Bikinis?  As a bowl?  Is it a drink...and if it is, is it juice or milk?  Or oil? Or food?  Fuel?  Who knows.


Coconut really isn't one of my favorite flavors, but for some reason, I had to have some.  Fast.  I didn't even look up a recipe.  I just grabbed the coconut bag and looked at the back, knowing one of the recipes would suffice.  I'm glad I did that because usually I don't like "bag recipes", but this one is worth trying.  They're done in about 20 minutes.  Super fast!!


 Mix the ingredients.
Before the oven.
After the oven.

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 cups grated coconut
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation:

Ingredients:

  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 300°F.
Stir together egg white, sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and a pinch of salt until combined, then stir in coconut. Drop dough by tablespoons onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake until tops are pale golden in spots, 10 to 15 minutes, then carefully lift cookies from baking sheet and transfer to a rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes.
*Optional: Dip in melted chocolate chips.

1 comment:

Key to my heart? Comments. :)