Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mississippi Mud Brownies


I live for reactions.

I love to do things sometimes just to see what people will say or how they will respond.  It's such a good feeling to make someone happy.

Random acts of kindness are so fulfilling.  I used to love May Day.  Every May Day when I was in elementary school, we would make a craft at school and when I got home, I would make a couple more and go put them on people's doors in my neighborhood.  (Aren't you supposed to do that on May Day or did I just make that up?)  I remember feeling so good after I did that because I could just imagine how excited they would be when they opened their door and found my silly craft.

In high school, in one of my classes, we had a Pay it Forward segment and at the end of it, one of my friends brought a bunch of Pay it Forward bracelets to class and we were told to do something nice for someone and give them the bracelet so they could do the same.  I remember paying it forward and just how good it felt.

I like to bake for people and make homemade cards (like for my dad's birthday, which I will post about later... Happy Birthday, Dad!!) because I like for them to know that I spent time on them because I care about them.  I like making Kellen homemade gifts because it's the way I express my feelings for him.  (Like for Valentine's Day, which I will also post about later. but I can't show you that until it's over because it's a surprise... and I hate ruined surprises!!) 

Even little things like holding the door open for people or helping someone carry something is so rewarding.  That feeling is not one that can be replicated with anything else.  It's the reason I do all of those things I told you about.

Make these brownies for someone today, I guarantee the reaction you get will be a good one!  I made them for one of my classes and they all loved them (or at least that's what they said.)

Mississippi Mud Brownies
Rebekahs Family Food and Fun

I was out of marshmallows, so I used marshmallow creme.







Ingredients 
2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
1-1/2 c. granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1-1/2 c. flour
1/4 t. salt
1 c. chopped pecans (optional - I think they would be fabulous, but my family would revolt)
2 cups marshmallow creme (enough to cover the top)

Frosting:
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa, sifted
2-3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°.
Grease a 13 x 9" pan.
In a large saucepan, melt butter.  Remove from heat and sift in cocoa, stirring until smooth.  Add sugar and stir well.  Add eggs and vanilla, mix to combine, then add flour and salt, stirring just until incorporated.   
Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Don't overbake.  Don't underbake though, either, my center pieces came out a little too gooey.
Immediately upon removing from oven, top with marshmallow creme.  Return to oven for 2-3 minutes, or until marshmallow creme is soft and melty.  Do NOT brown!!  That will make them chewy and tough and difficult to cut.
When marshmallows are soft, remove from oven and make frosting.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter.  Add cocoa and then powdered sugar and milk.  Stir until smooth and creamy.  Add more milk a teaspoon at a time if necessary for consistency.
Drizzle frosting over marshmallow layer and smooth to cover completely. 
Allow to cool before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Key to my heart? Comments. :)