Monday, December 12, 2011

Apple Pie with Pecan Pie Filling and Streusel Topping



I love pecan pie.

Buuuttt I always pick off the pecans... what's the point, right?  The ooey, gooey, caramel-y filling is the point.


Now that I've gotten older, I really kind of like the pecans, but the habit of picking them off when I was little is just ingrained in me now.

Since I didn't want to waste any expensive pecans, I figured I'd just sub them for apples.

I'll admit that it was kind of a long shot, but oh so worth it.  It didn't turn out like I thought it would, but it was pretty amazing.  *I was expecting the filling to be gooey like it is in pecan pie, but I made a mistake and I mixed the apples in instead of layering the filling and then the apples, so learn from me and don't do that if you want the gooeyness.  If you just want a sweet and sticky overflowing apple pie, then mix it.

Sorry for all the pictures... I kind of went a little crazy, but the pie was just so gorgeous, I couldn't resist.

What's your opinion on pecan pie?
Do you have any eating habits that are ingrained in you from childhood?


 





Apple Pie with Pecan Pie Filling and Streusel Topping
Adapted from: All Recipes and Karly @ Buns in My Oven

  • Ingredients
Pie:
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 apples of choice, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
  • 1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
Streusel:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 8 tbsp butter, cubed
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. 
  3. Stir in the brown sugar, white sugar and the flour; mix well. Last add the milk and vanilla.
  4. Pour into your unbaked pie shell. 
  5. *Layer the apple slices on top, or fold in. 
  6. In a medium bowl, combine the streusel ingredients except the butter.  
  7. Cut in the butter until well combined and you have small pea sized lumps. 
  8. Sprinkle this over the pie. There will be a lot of topping, but use it all.
  9. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.



4 comments:

  1. I am in awe...that looks amazing!!! The best part of pecan pie really is the filling so I am on board 100% here!


    Thank you for your comment on my blog it really made Brad and me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes please, love the texture right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much... i'm glad you agree.:)

    you're so welcome, its true!

    ReplyDelete

Key to my heart? Comments. :)