Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Eggnog Snickerdoodles (with eggnog in the batter)



I've come to find out that eggnog is pretty hit and miss with people.


Eggnog Types:

There are the people who say, "Yes, it's the best drink ever."  These are the die-hard eggnog fans.


There are the people who say, "Yes, it's pretty good."  These are the eggnog likers.


There are the people who say, "No, it's disgusting."  These are the eggnog haters.


There are the people who say, "I've never tried it."  These are the eggnots.

There are the people who say, "Yes, but I can't drink it because I'm on a diet."  These are the eggnog avoiders.

There are the people who say, "Yes, but I only like my eggnog with whiskey."  These are the alcoholics.  Just kidding! (But really.)


Lastly, there are the people who say, "Only in baked goods."  These are the people who will like this recipe.


Where do you rank on the list?  I'm an eggnog liker.







Eggnog Snickerdoodles (with eggnog in the batter)
Smitten Kitchen
I searched high and low for an eggnog snickerdoodle recipe that actually used eggnog in it.  When I couldn't find one, I made my own using Deb's snickerdoodle recipe.  This is an easy eggnog recipe.  These are the fluffiest, lightest cookies I've ever made.  It was like eating a cloud.  So good!  The eggnog flavor wasn't overpowering, but shined through just enough... and let me just tell you that eggnog snickerdoodle cookie dough is the best cookie dough ever.

Ingredients

1 ½ c flour
½ stick butter
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup eggnog (I used Soy Nog)
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 cup sugar + 1 tbsp cinnamon for rolling

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
  2. Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
  4. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.
  5. Add egg and eggnog, and beat to combine.
  6. Add dry ingredients, and beat to combine. Don't overmix.
  7. At this point, you can chill the dough for an hour or overnight to make the dough easier to scoop, but I was too impatient for this part and they turned out fine. 
  8. Once dough has chilled (or not), in a small bowl, combine 1/8 cup sugar and 1 tbsp ground cinnamon.
  9. Use a small ice-cream scoop or a tablespoon to form balls of the dough, and roll in cinnamon sugar. 
  10. Place about two inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
  11. Bake until the cookies are set in center and begin to crack, about 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets after five minutes. The cookies will feel a little doughy when you touch them, but trust me, they're finished.
  12. Transfer the sheets to a wire rack to cool about five minutes before transferring the cookies to the rack. In theory, they can be stored in an airtight container up to one week.
http://verygoodrecipes.com/white-christmas-challenge
(http://verygoodrecipes.com/white-christmas-challenge)

2 comments:

  1. My MIL taught me how to make homemade egg nog a few years ago and now I can say I love love love it...have to have it on Christmas.  These cookies sound wonderful - love snickerdoodles and the nog probably adds a wonderful flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy @ Crazy for CrustDecember 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM

    I'm in between a liker and a lover. I can't wait to buy it when it comes out...but I only buy it once. This recipe looks so good! I love that the eggnog is in the batter. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Key to my heart? Comments. :)